Athletics New Zealand High Performance manages the organisation of teams/athletes competing in International Championships ranging from Oceania Championships through to the Olympic Games.
This document provides a guide for an athlete wishing to be considered for selection on to one of these teams.
Your first port of call is to familiarise yourself with the High Performance (HP) section of the Athletics NZ website. http://www.athletics.org.nz/High-Performance
Athletics NZ High Performance Website
- The Competitions Calendar on the right side of the Home page is a brief on future overseas competitions and information about them. Full information is contained under the Competitions tab.
- The section Latest News/Policy Releases is where we publish Selection Polices or Nomination Criteria, Team Selection Announcements, Team Management Vacancies and other important announcements. You can see all past and present articles in this area under the News tab.
- Note: A Selection Policy is a team that Athletics NZ is managing whereas a Nomination Criteria is a team that the New Zealand Olympic Committee (NZOC) is managing and there are different requirements for each.
- When a Selection Policy is released, please ensure that you and your coach read it carefully.
- There is important information contained within the Selection Policy that you need to be aware of and adhere to. Please ensure you read and understand the following:
o Where and when the competition is being held
o Nomination/Selection Philosophy – Top 16 etc
o Entry Requirements – categories and distances, age requirements, team sizes etc
o Qualification Period dates
o Performance Standards
o Due date for submitting your application
o Bond – how much, how to pay it, when to pay it by, how it’s applied, refunds.
o Compulsory Selection Trials – where and when, information on how to apply for dispensation to who and by when
o Selection Announcement date
o Non-selection queries and/or appeals process
o Funding Information – including an estimate of the trip cost
- Once you decide that you wish to apply for nomination/selection on to a team, you must either fill out an Application for Selection Form or an Application for NZOC Long List Form depending on the Competition. The Selection Policy will advise which form you are to fill out along with links to the form.
- The information you need to help you apply for a team is under the Competitions tab.
- Under Competitions tab, then Calendars/Policies tab and selecting the year, it will show you an overview of the championships/competitions taking place internationally which HP will be involved with managing.
- The Competitions Calendar provides athletes and coaches with the following information:
· Level of a competition e.g. white/silver/black singlet
· Competition dates and location
· Selection Policy/Nomination Criteria/Statement
· Website link for further information on the Championship/Competition
Black Singlet (B) competitions include:
- World Athletics Track and Field Championships
- World Athletics Indoor Track & Field Championships
- World Athletics U20 Track & Field Championships
- World Para Athletics Championships
Silver Singlet (S) competitions include:
- Any additional World Athletics Championship listed outside of the above Black Singlet competitions i.e. World Athletics Cross Country Championships.
- International Association of Ultrarunners (IAU) World Championships
- International University Sports Federation (FISU) World Championships
- World Mountain Running Association (WMRA) World Championships
White Singlet (W) competitions include:
- Any other competitions where an athlete or a team is being selected to represent Athletics New Zealand (e.g. Oceania Area and Combined Events Championships)
Knowing when a Selection Policy has been released
- It is important that you check the HP website on a regular basis for anything updated on Latest News/Policy Releases items and new information within the Competitions Calendar.
- We also announce the release of a Selection Policy/Nomination Criteria via the following:
o Facebook – Make sure you ‘Like’ the Athletics New Zealand Facebook page.
o Twitter – Follow us on Twitter @AthleticsNZ
o Athletics in Action - sign up to the fortnightly newsletter at the bottom of the Athletics NZ web page.
Knowing where to find a Selection Policy
- We try to ensure that a Selection Policy can be found on the HP website in more than one place to cater for the different ways people navigate on a website.
- They will always be announced on the Home page, in the News items and on the Competitions Calendar for that year.
- Previous selection policies and nomination criteria's are also available on the website under the relevant year, for you to look at. This can be helpful for when we haven’t received the information from World Athletics or local organising body to publish a Selection Policy for the coming year so you can look back at the requirements from the previous time the competition was held. For example, if we don’t have the information for the World Athletics Youth Championships to be held in 2020. You could look at the Selection Policy for the 2018 World Athletics Youth Championships to see what the requirements were.
Application for Selection Form
- An Application for Selection Form is required for almost every team.
- There are a number of ways you can find the Application for Selection Form:
o On the HP website under the Competitions tab
o Within the Selection Policy as an online link that you can click on to be taken to the form – it will be in blue font and underlined.
o A link will be shown within the news article (under the News tab) announcing that the Selection Policy has been released
- This is an online form and has mandatory questions for us to gain important information on each athlete applying.
- If there is more than one competition calling for applications at the same time, you will first be shown a page asking to select which competition you are applying for.
- Please do not apply for multiple competitions on the same form. Please use a separate form for each submission.
- When you reach the end, ensure you click BOTH Submit Now pages until you reach a CONFIRMATION page to ensure that your application has been completed and submitted. You will receive an email confirming receipt of your completed form
- You will need to pay your bond online via credit card near the end of completing the Application for Selection Form.
Application for NZOC Long List Form
- This form is for when an athlete wants to apply for nomination for an NZOC team e.g. Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, and Commonwealth Youth Games. The first step of this process is to apply to go on the NZOC Long List.
- There are a number of ways you can find the Application for NZOC Long List Form:
o On the HP website under the Competitions tab
o Within the Nomination Criteria as an online link that you can click on to be taken to the form – it will be in blue font and underlined.
o A link will be shown within the news article (under the News tab) announcing that the Nomination Criteria has been released
- If you are unsure about anything to do with the Selection Policies/Nomination Criteria, website, vacancies, applying for a team or how to find anything, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help you.
- You can contact us by email Teams or call the Athletics NZ office on 09 477 0210.