The purpose of the Prime Minister’s Coach Scholarships is to develop skills that contribute to the quality of New Zealand's sport performance at the elite level.
How can the funding be used? The programme supports professional development activities related to the purpose of the scholarships. By way of example, activities supported can include accreditation requirements, business coaching, mentoring, training, internships, conferences, study visits, observations at key sporting events, discussions on ‘best’ practice, on-the-job shadowing, participation in peer network activities, participation in international committees or working groups, peer review of professional work, travel, accommodation, incidentals and reimbursement for lost income.
Athletics New Zealand's Coaches Entry Criteria and Application Process:
1. Intake Deadline: The application deadline for Athletics New Zealand is 1 December 2015. (Note: 2016 date still TBA)
2. Athletics New Zealand will consider applications for a Prime Minister's Coach Scholarship only if you are a carded coach (Performance or Performance +).
3. Comply with HPSNZ's entry criteria:
- is working with high performance athletes and the high performance program
- is acknowledged in a NSO’s high performance plan or service plan, or identified by their NSO as an emerging talent who will impact high performance sport within the next 5 years
- has an up-to-date professional development plan
- has demonstrated commitment to their NSO’s education and development pathways (if available)
- has their application endorsed by their NSO
- has their application endorsed by their New Zealand Academy of Sport High Performance Coaching Consultant
- has no outstanding scholarship requirements.
4. Discuss your application with Athletics New Zealand and/or your High Performance Coaching Consultant.
5. Coaches who meet with the entry requirements are asked to fill out the Prime Minister's Scholarship online application via HPSNZ's website. Applications will be taken from 1 November 2015. (Note: 2016 date still TBA)
6. Athletics New Zealand will prioritise and endorse all the applications.
7. Athletics New Zealand will be notified in writing whether your application is successful/or not (date TBA).