News & Updates
Expressions of Interest Open for 2023 Pacific Games
Athletics NZ has been presented with a small window of opportunity to reconsider sending a team of developing athletes to the 2023 Pacific Games in the Solomon Islands from 19 November – 2 December 2023. Note the very short timeframe to complete the application process which can be found below.
The team to the Pacific Games is led by the New Zealand Olympic Committee, and Athletics NZ are considering sending a small team of no more than 20 athletes that are looking for international travel and team experience. The Pacific Games is an inclusive competition and includes events for Para athletes.
The Pacific Games is a multi-sport event with teams from across Polynesia, Melanesia and Micronesia. It is a competition opportunity for athletes to represent New Zealand as a senior athlete, and ideal for experienced domestic athletes who have not competed at a major championship previously.
The 2023 Pacific Games is an athlete-funded competition and athletes selected will have to participate at no-cost to Athletics NZ. The indicative cost is $5,000 per athlete. If the number of nominations received make this opportunity fiscally unviable, we will not send a team.
Please complete the Pacific Games Application Long List form by 5pm Friday 26 May 2023 in order for us to gain an understanding of whom may wish to compete in the Games team.
A Nomination Criteria will then follow if sufficient interest has been shown. A bond of $250 will also be required from interested athletes later next month.
There are very limited athlete spaces available to join this team so priority consideration for the team will go to:
- Athletes who have not previously represented New Zealand at a Black Singlet level competition i.e. World Championships, Commonwealth Games, Olympic Games or Paralympics. (Please note that Pacific Games is not a black singlet event)
- Athletes aged 18 years or older and no longer attending school.
Other factors will be considered including but not limited to;
- A spread of athletes across different event groups, eg. Sprints, distance, jumps, throws.
- Commitment to focusing on personal achievement at the 2023 Pacific Games.
- Length of time competing with distinction in the New Zealand domestic athletics scene.
Submitting an EOI gives no right or guarantee of a position on this team. Selection ultimately rests with the New Zealand Olympic Committee. If there are more expressions of interest than capacity allows, a panel of Athletics NZ staff will review submissions and send invitations to the athletes that best meet the purpose of the team.
If you have any questions regarding the 2023 Pacific Games – Solomon Islands, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Selection Policy Announcement
- Sarah Drought leads New Zealand Half Marathon contenders
- Dates announced for 2024 Jennian Homes New Zealand Track & Field Championships
- New venue announced for 2023 New Zealand Road Relay Championships
- Weekly Round Up: 29 May
- Paris 2024 Olympic Games Nomination Criteria Announced
- New athletes named in the Performance Development Squad