News & Updates
Expressions of Interest Open for High Performance International Development Tour
Athletics NZ is pleased to announce that it will be hosting a High Performance International Development Tour from 25 May – 19 June 2023. The purpose of this tour is to serve as an alternative opportunity predominantly for U23 athletes who may have been targeting the 2023 World University Games, however we will consider progressing athletes who are at least 18 and no older than 25 years of age on 31 December 2023 that are looking for international travel and competition experience.
The draft schedule for this tour is:
25 May: Travel to Taiwan
27 – 28 May: Taiwan Athletics Open
29 May: Travel to Central European training base
3-4 June: Will look into local or nearby city athletics competitions
10-11 June: Will look into local or nearby city athletics competitions
15/16 June: Travel to Chelmsford, UK
17-18 June: England Athletics U20/U23 Championships (We will seek alternative opportunities for senior athletes who are ineligible for this competition)
19 June: Travel to New Zealand (arrive in Auckland on 21 June)
Athletics NZ will provide a contribution towards management, coaching and physio. The subsidised tour costs have been estimated at $9,000 – $10,000NZD per athlete depending on uptake. This cost includes all international flights, accommodation, physio and coaching support, logistical support, competition entries and most on ground transport. Outside of the tour cost, you will be responsible for:
- Food at Central European training base (accommodation will allow for self-catering in a shared kitchen with supermarket & eateries nearby)
- Daily transport at central European training base (there will be a vehicle available if needed but to reduce costs for you we will forego renting multiple vehicles for the duration, Bicycles are the main form of transport in Central Europe)
- Food in Chelmsford (accommodation will be at a hotel so self-catering is not feasible, but breakfast is included with the room and there is a supermarket and eateries within walking distance)
Please complete this EOI form by 5pm Wednesday 29 March 2023 to submit your expression of interest for the tour. There are very limited athlete spaces available to join this tour so priority consideration for the tour will go to:
- Athletes having achieved the relevant 2022 WUG standard
- ANZ-HP programme athletes (EPS, PPS, PDS)
- U23 aged Athletes
- U20 aged Athletes
- 23-25 year aged Athletes
- Athletes between 18-25 years old that are close to the WUG standard
Other factors will be considered including but not limited to;
- Alternative opportunities that may be more relevant to athlete’s needs
- Athlete campaigns for future years
- Maximum of two (2) athletes per event based on competition entry requirements.
Submitting an EOI and/or achieving a 2022 WUGs entry standard gives no right or guarantee of a position on this tour. If there are more expressions of interest than capacity allows, a panel of Athletics NZ staff will discuss submissions and send invitations to the athletes that best meet the purpose of the tour.
Note: This information has been put together based on Covid-19 travel restrictions being lifted from most countries. There is no guarantee that Athletics NZ-HP will hold this tours should the Covid-19 situation worsen in the intended tour locations or if there is poor athlete uptake.
If you already have plans to travel to the above locations but see potential in fusing your plans with our tour, please contact email@example.com to discuss your plans.
- Selection Policy Announcement
- Sarah Drought leads New Zealand Half Marathon contenders
- Dates announced for 2024 Jennian Homes New Zealand Track & Field Championships
- New venue announced for 2023 New Zealand Road Relay Championships
- Weekly Round Up: 29 May
- Paris 2024 Olympic Games Nomination Criteria Announced
- New athletes named in the Performance Development Squad