News & Updates
Covid Protection Framework Update
The New Zealand Government has updated the Traffic Light System under the Covid Protection Framework and some of these changes are having a major impact on how we deliver our sport.
The changes outlined below allow us to deliver our sport in a way that is closer to normal but retain the things that we know are most effective at reducing the spread of COVID-19 and protecting our communities.
From 11:59pm on Friday 25 March the following came into effect:
- There will be no limits for outdoor activities, such as athletics events, trainings, road and cross country races etc.
- My Vaccine Passes must be used until 11:59pm on 4 April.
- There will be a 200-person limit for indoor gatherings and events — My Vaccine Passes must be used until 11:59pm on 4 April.
- If My Vaccine Passes are not used, the gathering limits remain unchanged at a maximum of 25 people
- You do not need to wear a face mask outdoors.
- Other face mask rules remain unchanged — face masks are still required in most indoor settings.
- There is no requirement to scan in or for a business to display a QR code poster or have mandatory record keeping.
As we note these changes, it is important to emphasise that all of New Zealand is still at the red traffic light setting.
From 11:59pm on 4 April 2022, there will be no requirement to use My Vaccine Pass. Until 4 April, where My Vaccine Passes are not used, the current restrictions remain — but after this time, the new capacity limits will apply to everyone.
After 4 April, clubs, centres and other event organisers will still be able to use the My Vaccine Pass system if they would like to.
Sport NZ is currently working on comprehensive advice for the sector, and if anything relevant emerges from this we will update you all accordingly.
Until then, if you have any questions please feel free to contact Athletics NZ Community Manager Hamish Meacheam on 027 324 1976 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org