News & Updates
New Zealand Mountain Running Championships Update
The 2022 New Zealand Mountain Running Championships at Deer Park Heights, which was scheduled for Saturday April 23 has been postponed and will now take place on Saturday August 20.
The regrettable decision has been made because of the current rising positive Covid cases caused by the Omicron variant and the ongoing uncertainty as to when New Zealand will emerge from the current red traffic light setting.
It was also felt that by pushing back the event – organised by Athletics NZ in partnership with Queenstown Athletics Club and Active QT – to later in the year would also offer more opportunities for the community to participate in the event named the Vertical Challenge.
Held on private land, the event will offer runners the chance to experience a national championship event in one of the most stunning landscapes in New Zealand. Deer Park Heights offers uninterrupted views of the Wakatipu Basin and has been used in the past as a movie set for the Lord of the Rings trilogy and Wolverine.
The 2022 New Zealand Mountain Running Championships are an uphill only event and contested over distance of between 4-7km for senior men and women and U20 men and women.
- New Christchurch Marathon course to host the 2023 New Zealand Marathon Champs
- Weekly Round Up: 7 February
- Adams turns up the heat at Sola Power event
- Nagel and Oakley claim back-to-back national 3000m crowns
- Paralympic champion Lisa Adams set to star at Sola Power meet
- Sprint ace Te Puni targets more success in Wellington
- Nagel seeks back-to-back national 3000m titles