News & Updates
New Zealand Road Mile Champs set to launch in Rotorua
The inaugural New Zealand Road Mile Championship will take place as part of the brand new Museum Mile sponsored by Toi Ohomai on Friday 5 May – which will kick start the three-day Red Stag Rotorua Marathon.
The championship event will be open to senior men/women, U20 and masters +35 and +50 divisions and will have the additional incentive of doubling as the official trial race for the inaugural World Athletics Road Running Championships, in Riga, Latvia (30 September – 1 October).
Taking place on a lightning-quick street course at the picturesque Government Gardens the twilight racing is expected to provide some pulsating action between New Zealand’s premier middle-distance runners.
All competitors will be expected to compete in their club uniform. Para sections, as appropriate, will be available in each individual championship grade.
Athletics NZ Competitions Manager Jason Cameron said: “We are very excited about the Museum Mile sponsored by Toi Ohomai incorporating the New Zealand Road Mile Championship. The course is super-fast and provides amazing opportunities for spectators.”
The 2023 World Athletics Road Running Championships will feature races over the mile, 5km and half-marathon distance.
To enter the Athletics NZ Mile Championship which features as part of the Museum Mile sponsored by Toi Ohomai go here
- Beamish launches fearsome kick to strike 1500m gold in Glasgow
- King Kerr is crowned World Indoor champion
- McCartney claims stunning World Indoor silver and Hobbs banks fourth in the 60m
- Walsh earns silver to claim historic fifth straight World Indoor medal
- Wesche places fourth at World Indoors with PB performance
- National mountain running, ultra and trail championship events announced
- Veitch aims for magic eight metre barrier