News & Updates
Expressions of Interest Open for IAU 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run
We have received information that the International Association of Ultrarunners (“IAU”) has invited New Zealand to compete in the virtual IAU 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run to be held over the weekend of 29 – 30 August 2020. This virtual competition has been planned by the IAU in the spirit of universal camaraderie and uplifting of the morale during a time where most ultrarunning competitions have been cancelled and postponed.
Federations can enter up to 9 male and 9 female athletes to take part in the race. As this is a virtual competition, there will be no funding or uniforms provided by Athletics NZ, but there will also be no expense for athletes.
Each athlete must run at any time in one continuous six-hour block over the weekend of 29 – 30 August 2020 in the NZT time zone. Athletes can run indoors or outdoors but would need to record their performances on one of the many sports platforms like Strava or Garmin. Results would then be verified by Brianna Maynard and John Bowden before being submitted to the IAU on the 1 September 2020.
Athletes considering the 2020 IAU 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run should include results (but not limited to) from the following in no particular order;
- Sri Chinmoy 6hr/12hr September 28 2019 (held in conjunction with the Athletics NZ 24hr championships)
- Crater Rim Ultra -Athletics NZ Trail Championships 13 October 2019
- Kepler Challenge 7 December 2019
- Tarawera Ultra Marathon 8 February 2020
- Old Ghost Ultra 21 February 2020
- Any other races which are 50km or longer
Applications will close on 5:00pm Sunday 26 July 2020.
Please Note: Athletics NZ will not be able to provide any sports platforms such as Strava or Garmin, nor will we be able to provide assistance with using these platforms.
- Obituary: Murray Cheater
- 2020 Hanmer Distance Camp Applications Open
- World Athletics Competitions Update
- 2020 World Mountain Running Championships Selection Policy Released
- 2020 IAU Virtual 6 Hour Global Solidarity Run Team Selection Announcement
- Rocking in Rotorua
- NZ Cross Country Champs Five Reasons